Manufacturers Group Meeting
Tuesday 26th March 2013 5:30-7:30 pm
Location: Indespention Ltd, Paragon Business Park, Chorley New Road, Horwich, Bolton BL6 6HG
As this month is celebrating National Apprenticeship Week we have stayed with this theme for our guest speakers. I am sure you will agree that having young people ‘Work Ready’ is vital to the future success of manufacturing and our local economy.
It would be great to see a good turnout for this meeting to show your support for our local young people and your views on the skills you feel our local education facilities should be teaching.
The Guest Speakers for this months meeting will be:
Marie Gilluley (Principal, Bolton College) & Phil Green (Bolton Council) – Marie and Phil will be sharing the progress of the new STEM Centre being developed in Bolton. This new centre will teach skills to young people that will enable them to progress into careers in our local manufacturing businesses. To ensure this is a seamless process the college would like to start building relationships with local manufacturers and provide education that suits their needs.
Gareth Humphries (HR Advisor for Education, MBDA) – Gareth has ensured that apprenticeships have remained a core part of the culture and long term strategy for MBDA and continues to support the UK manufacturing sector with his 20+ years experience. He will be sharing his experiences working with young people and providing some sound advice to other local manufacturing businesses.
We have also invited a number of other local organisations that care share knowledge and experience of working with young people: Alliance Learning, SEMTA, The Education Training Partnership, Industrial Cadets & Local Head Teacher.
· We don’t follow the format of other networking groups with a 1 minute pitch or pressure people for referrals.
· We drink tea & coffee and eat good old Pie & Peas while chatting informally.
· We are very friendly and open about improvements we have implemented; funding we have utilized, new technologies, useful suppliers and other benefits, such as, referrals to new clients that will help other attendees increase their bottom line and grow their businesses.
· We make a difference by supporting local charities.
· We are currently a combination of around 40 local manufacturing businesses, which is growing rapidly month on month.
There is a £15 entry fee which is donated to a local charity each month. This month we have Robbie from Remedy Arts, a local charity engaging with young people to reduce unemployment issues via creative arts. Remedy Arts uses music, media & dance to reach out to the young people of Bolton and works mainly in struggling communities.
If you would like to come along to the Manufacturers Group please contact us to arrange a guest pass. Remember you need to be a manufacturer to attend and we do not allow people to turn up on the night without prior arrangement.